Friday, November 26, 2010

Walgreens run: $66 for a $3 profit

I had five $1 Crest coupons and one $5 Secret/Olay coupon left once the shopping frenzy yesterday was done.  After lazing about and recovering from our Thanksgiving feast, I decided to make a quick run to Wags to use up the last of my coupons.  We also needed milk so I killed two birds with one stone.

Not pictured: 2 gallons milk

The store was shockingly dead, and there remained tons and tons of stock, even on the free after RR items.  I'm sure that they restocked the shelves at some point after my visit yesterday, but it looked like no one had really bought any of the sale items all day.  The only thing that even approached looking low was the Bic razors, and there were still 5 or 6 packs left after I bought one.

Trans 1
1 Secret body spray
1 Olay body wash
1 Crest
1 A&W root beer
Subtotal $10.96
Total after coupons $4.96, paid in RRs, received back $3.50, $2.50, $3, $.99
$5.03 profit

Trans 2, 3, 4
1 Crest
1 Thermacare
1 Advil PM
Subtotal $6.47
Total after coupons $5.47, paid in RRs, received back $3, $2.50, $.99
$1.02 profit ea, $3.06 total

Trans 5
1 Crest
1 Old Spice body spray
1 Bic Soleil razors
2 gallons milk
Subtotal $15.13
Total after coupons $14.13, paid in RRs, received back $3, $4, $2
Out of pocket $5.13

Total for the trip
Shelf price $66.32
Total $35.50
Rewards earned $38.46
$2.96 profit!!

Minus the milk, this would have been a profit of $8.12, but I'll take free milk!!

As a bonus, I've now spent $44.86 towards a $20 rebate (when you spend $50 on certain Proctor & Gamble products) just at Wags alone. 
This rebate requires the original receipts to redeem.  I have another $7.98 spent on Herbal Essence from my CVS trip yesterday, but I made a bit of a tactical error and purchased those on the same transaction as I did the Renpure items, which ALSO have a rebate.  I need to find out of I can send copies of the receipt for the Renpure rebate; if so, I'll have an additional $20 in profit for my Thanksgiving/Black Friday totals.  If the Renpure needs original receipts, I'll watch for a good deal on the eligible items over the next few weeks and spend another $5.13 pre-coupon to hit the $50 mark. 
Next week CVS has Pantene shampoo/conditioner for $3.33ea and there should be a BOGO coupon in Sunday's paper.  I think my best bet (if I need to buy more) will be to get 2 Pantenes using the coupon for $6.66 in spending, $3.33 my cost.

I counted up all my rewards on hand for the three stores after all this shopping and was pleasantly surprised.
CVS: $34.84
Rite Aid: $25
Wags: $46.69
That's $106.53 total in store credit to buy more stuff!

No comments: