Monday, November 8, 2010

Grocery week, part 2: $85 for $21

So 92% lean ground chuck is on sale at Giant Eagle this week for $1.99lb.  This is a fantastic price, and I was all set to buy up 10lbs or so - except there was none in the meat case.  And though the meat department was open, there was no sign of any employees present.  Well, crap.  We were in a hurry so I grabbed everything else we needed and stopped at customer service on the way out.  I said "This is kind of a strange thing to ask, but can I get a raincheck for the ground beef that's on sale?  There's none out and no one in the meat department."  The gal got the raincheck pad no hesitation and snickered as another employee who'd heard the exchange muttered "Meat department ignoring customers?  What a surprise..."

Yeah, there's a reason I do the big shopping trips at another store that's a bit farther away.  Between weird lack of stock and yet another frustrating cashier issue, I'd prefer to use this store for a quick gallon of milk and not much more.
So I got my raincheck for as much meat as I want at $1.99lb and we went on our merry way.  We'll stock up at our leisure and avoid that store as much as possible in the future.  

Not pictured: 1 gallon milk, produce, another free 20oz Pepsi Max that I'd already consumed

So I got more coffee.  It was really hard not to when there's a good sale.  For the coffee, peanut butter & jam it was $25.97 after sale & coupons and we got $15 in OYNOs back because the regular shelf price of those items is $45.43 - $5 back for each $15.  $10.97 for 3 big canisters of coffee, three peanut butters, and two jars of jam is a fantastic deal, so I took the plunge!

Shelf price: $85.35
Total: $40.74
Earned OYNOs: $20
Out of pocket: $20.74, a savings of 76%!!

I got an extra $2 OYNO back that I wasn't expecting and I still can't figure out how it happened.  The Green Giant veggies are on sale for $1, and they're part of the "spend $10, get $2 OYNO" deal.  Based on their shelf price I determined that I could buy six, use my $.60 off 3 coupons (doubled) and get $2 back - making them $.27 per box.  Now, the cookie mixes are also included in this deal, but supposedly that's based on the sale price of $2 per package.  I wasn't going to get another set, but this store had a handful of the pumpkin cookie mixes left (I've been having trouble finding this flavor) and, ashamedly, I really like those.  Since I have a stack of $.50 off 1 coupons left, making the mixes $1ea, I decided to get four and grab ANOTHER free cookie sheet.
Those are the only two items I bought today that were part of that deal, and I didn't figure I'd spend enough to get two $2 OYNOs - but I did.  I have no idea why.  The only thing I can figure is either the shelf price of the GG veggies are higher (but the receipt shows the shelf price of $1.79 which is exactly what I was calculating) or that the sale is tracking the cookies on shelf price.  Maybe it was just dumb luck to make up for the not-so-pleasant cashier we had.

So the cashier issue.  Amusingly enough, I avoided a certain line at this grocery store today because I recognized the cashier working it as one I'd had previous problems with - twice.  She's a nice lady, but she has serious issues scanning coupons.  She just can't get them to work.  It's tortuous; you wait in a slow line, wait for your items to be slowly scanned, and finally hand over the coupons only for this cashier to manage to get three or four of them scanned then have to wait for her to call over a front end supervisor to fix everything else.  It takes forever, so I avoided her line today.
Except I got in the line of a self-appointed officer of the coupon law.  I'd heard of the coupon police before but I'd never encountered one in the wild.  I'm still shaking my head over this one.

Maxwell House International Cafe flavored coffee drinks were on sale for $2.99 this week, and for each two purchased you receive a $1 OYNO back.  Well, I had two coupons for $.75 off and two coupons for "Buy ANY two Maxwell House coffee, get one Maxwell House International Cafe free."  If I were to get six, it would work out to $5.96 for all after coupons and OYNOs.  I figured it would make a nice gift for my coffee-lovin' sister for Christmas, so I loaded six in the cart.  The cashier had other ideas at checkout.
"You didn't buy the Maxwell House."
I blinked at her.  "Yes, I have six International Cafes."
"It says you have to buy Maxwell House."
"MAXWELL HOUSE International Cafes - I have six of those."
"No, you have to buy Maxwell House to use these coupons."
I took a tin of the stuff out of the bag and pointed to the MAXWELL HOUSE printed on the label.  "This is Maxwell House."
Well, she refused to budge and, as mentioned, we were in a hurry.  And, frankly, I was in a terrible mood as it was and didn't want to make a scene.
"Please take four off my order, then, and I'd like my coupons back.  I'll contact corporate for clarification tomorrow."

Poor Andy had no idea what was going on as I asked him to dig all but two of the blasted coffees out of the bags.  After we got our raincheck and left the store, I showed him the coupon and explained what had happened and he said "But it IS Maxwell House...!" 
Yup.  But whatever.  Fortunately the next nearest store is less than 10 minutes away.

I'm pretty sure that's everything for the week.  There are other good sales, but not on anything we really use so there's no screaming need to get anything else.  We have more freezer space than I thought so mayyyyyybe we'll get some more Green Giant veggies before the sale ends.

Totals for the week
Shelf price: $204.88
Total: $84.49
Earned OYNOs: $34
Out of pocket: $50.49, for a savings of $154.39, or 75%!!

Not bad at all considering this was a stock up week for butter and ibuprofen!

No comments: