Tuesday, November 2, 2010

$120 worth of toothpaste, OTC meds, and shampoo for a profit of $9.90

Well this certainly worked out well.

Tonight we went to finish the Sinex deal.  I had ten $4 coupons remaining and after some back & forth I decided that the best way to do this would be to split my transactions between Giant Eagle and Walgreens.  Both stores have the Sinex at two for $10.  At Giant Eagle you get a $4 OYNO when you buy two; at Wags you get a $5 RR when you buy two.  Seems like an easy decision, right?  Walgreens, it's a buck more back in rewards.

Except Giant Eagle is offering another bonus coupon that can be loaded on to your store loyalty card for $4 off a Vicks Sinex product.  This bonus can only be used once and it stacks on top of your paper coupons.
So I did some figuring.  If I get 4 Sinex at Giant Eagle it would be $20 on sale, minus $16 in coupons, minus $4 bonus coupon - that equals FREE!  The remaining six will come from Wags for $1ea cash.


Giant Eagle
4 boxes Nyquil Sinex - $20
1 box Vicks Sinex VaporSpray - $5
6 tubes Colgate toothpaste - $6
1lb Carolina rice - $1
1 bottle Pepsi Max - $.99 (not pictured because I drank it)
Total $32.99
Less five $4 Sinex
Less $4 Sinex bonus coupon
Less $.50 Carolina rice 
Less six $.75 Colgate (doubled to $1)
Less $.55 Pepsi Max (doubled to $.99)
Total $1, received back $11 OYNOs (two $4 for Sinex, one $3 for Colgate)

Shelf price: $48.93
Total: $1
Remaining OYNOs: $11
Out of pocket: $10 profit!!

While we were browsing the cold meds, another customer was in the same aisle.  She heard us talking about the Sinex and asked which ones were on sale.  I pointed her to the right things, and she looked at them and said "Oh, I can't take that.  Here, would you like my coupon?" while handing me another $4 off Sinex coupon she pulled from her wallet.
Yes, yes I'll take another Nyquil Sinex for a dollar, thank you.  No extra OYNO back, but who cares??
THEN as we were walking to the rice aisle, Andy spotted a coupon facedown on the floor.  He scooped it up and it was a $.75 off Colgate - so that's another free toothpaste for us!
There was exactly one Carolina rice package on the shelf.  *sigh*  One down, six more coupons to go.  One day it'll be stocked....at least it's still on sale for $1.


Walgreens

Transaction 1
2 Nyquil Sinex - $10
1 Herbal Essence Hydralicious shampoo - $3.50
1 Herbal Essence Hydralicious conditioner - $3.50
1 Reeses PB pumpkin - $.37 (filler)
Total $17.37
Less two $4 Sinex
Less two $2 off any "Clairol family" products
Total $5.37, paid with $3 RR & cash
Received back $5 RR (Sinex), $2 RR (Herbal Essence)
Profit of $1.63!!

Transaction 2
2 Vicks Sinex - $10
1 Reeses PB pumpkin - $.37 (filler)
Total $10.37
Less two $4 off Sinex
Total $2.37, paid with $2 RR & cash
Received back $5 RR (Sinex)
Profit of $2.63!!

Transaction 3
2 Vicks Sinex - $10
Walgreens brand ibuprofen - $13.99
1 Reeses pumpkin - $.37 (filler)
Total $24.36
Less two $4 off Sinex
Total $16.36, paid with $10 RR (previous two transactions) & cash
Received back $5 RR (Sinex)
Out of pocket: $11.36
(should have grabbed one more $.37 candy to be able to use another $5 RR to bring this lower, oh well)
***note: Don't make a habit of doing what I did in the last transaction there.  Yes, I used the $5 RRs from the previous two transactions to pay, and I did get another $5 RR back.  This is a very rare exception; 99% of Walgreens deals don't work this way.  If this were another deal, I wouldn't have received that third $5 RR. For some reason, sometimes the RRs are coded in such a way that they can be "rolled" like this, allowing a fresh one to print.  I knew ahead of time that this deal was an exception so I went with it.

Shelf price: $71.02
Total: $7.10
Remaining rewards: $7
Out of pocket: $.10

I was kind of dreading this a little bit.  I knew we'd have to do three transactions to get everything done right - I could only do two Sinex at a time to get the $5 RR for each pair and that was the point of the whole exercise.  Fortunately the store was quite empty.  When we checked out the first transaction someone got in line behind us and I stepped aside so the cashier could ring the guy's magazine and candy bar out before starting our 2nd transaction.  I wouldn't want to be stuck behind me doing 3 transactions!
There were only four Nyquil Sinex on the shelf, so in an effort to get in and out as quickly as possible, I grabbed those and two of the numerous Dayquil Sinex.  I believe I have 10 of each kind now.
Ohhh man, I wish I'd brought the rest of my Clairol/Herbal Essence coupons!!  These are on sale 2 for $7 and you get a $2 RR back for each pair.  There's a coupon from this past Sunday's paper for $2 off any "Clairol family" product.  Clairol makes Herbal Essence, but the picture on the coupon shows hair dye so I wasn't sure if it was acceptable use.  The cashier (a couponer herself!) agreed that since it's a Clairol product the coupon is valid, so I got a shampoo & conditioner for $.50ea after coupon & RR.  Dammit, I could've bought two more.  Well, if we go back to Wags before the weekend I'll grab 'em; if not, Rite Aid has a great sale starting Sunday I was going to take advantage of regardless.

Totals for the day
Shelf price: $119.95
Total: $8.10
Remaining rewards: $18
Profit of $9.90!!!

Next week when we do our grocery shopping, I plan to use the $11 in OYNOs from Giant Eagle to buy some more ibuprofen which will get us stocked up for at least a year.

Toothpaste now = out of control.  I'm taking my first bag(s) to a shelter/food pantry VERY soon.

Speaking of grocery shopping next week, it looks like this is shaping up to be another ridiculous sale week.  Out of nowhere, after two weeks of nothing, we're finally being thrown a bone.  Cream cheese at a profit, butter for a song, cheap coffee (do I need more coffee?), and I haven't even had a chance to process the rest.  It looks like a good one though!

No comments: