Saturday, November 6, 2010

Grocery week, part 1: $120 for $30

Quick trip today to take advantage of a few of the good sales this week.

Not pictured: 10lbs butter, 2 gallons milk

10 Philadelphia cream cheese - $12.50
10 Land o Lakes butter - $25.00
4 Betty Crocker cookie mix pouches - $8
Wilton cookie sheet - $5.99 (free after promo)
5 bottles Franks Red Hot hot sauce - $5 (free after coupon)
1 Tide Stain Release powder - $6
3 store brand ibuprofen - $11.97
2 bags candy - $1.98
2 gallons milk - $4
Subtotal $80.44
Less two $5 off 5 Kraft products, five $.50 off two LOL butter (doubled), four $.40 off 1 cookie mix, one $.50 off 1 cookie mix, five $.50 off 1 Franks Red Hot (doubled), $2 off Tide, $.50 off 2 candy (doubled), $3 off Tide eOffer, $.40 off cookie mix eOffer, free cookie sheet promo (when you buy 4 participating products - cookie mixes)
Total: $43.85, paid for ibuprofen with $11 in OYNOs from Sinex & Colgate deal, the rest cash
Received back $14 in OYNOs

Shelf price: $119.53
Total: $43.85
Earned OYNOs: $14
Out of pocket: $29.85

This sale week is kind of crazy in that there are two very useful OYNO promotions running.  I decided to do the biggest chunk of one of them in one trip, and take care of the rest in another.

Certain products geared towards Thanksgiving have a special where if you spend $10, you get a $2 OYNO back.  This includes the butter, cookie mix and cream cheese in the transaction above, and most of the items are being tracked by shelf price.  The butter is normally $4.29/lb (!!!!!), so 10lbs of it means I "spent" $42.90.  By adding in the four cookie mixes at $2ea, that brought my total "spent" up to $50.90, which then gave me five $2 OYNOs back.  The cream cheese is $2.09 normally, so 10 of those gave me another two $2 OYNOs back - to make it even sweeter, I had two $5 off coupons which brought my cash paid on the Philly to $2.50.  After receiving $4 back in OYNOs, they paid me $1.50 to take it out of the store!


In the next couple days we'll head back to take advantage of the other special - $5 OYNO when you spend $15.  To be honest, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I want to do with this one.  Peanut butter and jelly are included and I desperately need peanut butter, so we'll be getting several jars.  Folgers coffee is also included, and with a shelf price of $11.49 (!!!!), that makes for some great total-building to get more OYNOs back.
The problem is I'm not sure if we need more coffee!  We have so much!  It's hard to pass up, though.  They're on sale for $6.99ea and I have $1 coupons.  I can do:
1 canister of Folgers $6.99
1 jar of Jif PB $2
1 jar of Smuckers jam $2
Total $10.99 sale, about $16 shelf
Less $1 Folgers, less $1 off when you buy the PB & jam
$8.99, receive $5 OYNO back, so $3.99 for all that stuff.

I mean, that's a really good price.  I might just have do a couple rounds of that scenario to get totals lower overall.  It's an odd concept, buying something "expensive" to get things cheaper all around, but sometimes that's just how it works, and for this sale that seems to be the case.  I'd happily pay $1.50 each for peanut butter and jam, which is how it works out with just the coupons, but when I combine a jar of each with a big canister of coffee, after the OYNO it's like paying a good price for the PB & J and getting the coffee for $.99.  That's hard to pass up...

No comments: