Friday, November 19, 2010

Grocery trip - $150 for $14

The good thing about buying stuff in mass quantities is that you can pretty easily skip a week at the grocery store if you want, which is exactly what I did last week.  I just didn't feel like going and none of the sales were quite good enough to entice me in. 

But Thanksgiving is nearly here and I needed some things to make my requested Thanksgiving dishes, so off we went tonight.  A Friday night at the grocery store.  We are so living on the edge.

Not pictured: 5 bottles Diet Coke, 2 gallons milk, 1 large disposable roasting pan.  Sorry for the terrible photo quality. 

So tonight's trip was mostly geared towards what I'll need for Thanksgiving as well as a few items for my sister & aunt's birthday party this weekend.  We also took advantage of some good sales and splurged on a couple bottles of wine.  ;)

I FINALLY FOUND MY RICE IN STOCK!!  Good lord, I've been looking for weeks!  Fortunately it was still on sale for $1 and I carried those $.50 coupons with me everywhere just in case.   Yay free rice!

In total we've got 5 2 liters of Diet Coke, the roasting pan, 2 loaves of bread, 6lbs rice*, 2lbs sausage, a big ol' pork roast (about $5 after coupon), 6lbs apples, 3lbs onions, a bag of cranberries, 2 dozen eggs, 2 cartons sour cream, cupcake baking papers, a bottle of peppermint extract, 4lbs powdered sugar, 1 bag chocolate chips, 2 bags shredded cheese, pomegranate lemonade, 8 bottles Bailey's coffee creamer ($.50ea after coupon!), 2 boxes Triscuits, 2 boxes Wheat Thins, a box of graham crackers, 3 boxes popcorn*, 6 boxes Swiss Miss cocoa*, and my ever-present Diet PepsiMax*

Shelf price: $150.32
Total: $20.17
Earned rewards: $6
Out of pocket: $14.17

We used a $30 gift card that Andy got as part of his Thanksgiving bonus at work.  I wasn't sure if that counted in the "savings" column, but he rightly pointed out that since it wasn't money out of our bank account, it's just like a coupon.  LOL

The Swiss Miss is on sale for $1ea and I used $.50 off two coupons to bring them to $.50ea.  For buying 6, we got a $3 OYNO back, making those items free!  I'd wanted to get 12, but there were exactly six boxes of the sale kind in the store.  *sigh*  We'll try again this weekend to see if we can find the rest.
The popcorn is on sale buy one get one, or $1.79ea.  I had $.50 coupons which doubled, making them $.79ea or $2.37 total.  For buying three, we got ANOTHER $3 OYNO back, making those a $.63 moneymaker.

So now we're all set for the big feast on Thursday.  I'll be bringing my cornbread & sausage stuffing (hence the purchased bread - I'm lazy and don't want to bake bread on top of everything else!), an apple bread pudding (more bread), a ridiculous amount of mashed potatoes, a cake, and Andy is making a spicy pomegranate-cranberry dipping sauce.
Sunday we're having a little birthday shindig for my sister and aunt.  I shall be making two types of cupcakes for the birthday girls to go with snacks and ice cream.  I love family get-togethers!!

No comments: