Sunday, November 21, 2010

Dual Drugstore Deals: $150 for $5.50

Another raincheck.
*sigh*
At this rate, my mom is going to get a raincheck for Christmas.

In spite of that, all went very well today - even better than I'd planned thanks to another impromptu, off the cuff deal.  This time the deal was at Rite Aid and I can cross some more presents off my list.

CVS
4 Playtex Gentle Glide - $21.76 (they only had one of the $5.29 type on the shelf, so three of them were $5.49)
Subtotal $21.76
Less $4 off $20 purchase, less two $2 off, less two $1 off
Total $11.76, received back $10 ECB for $20 in Playtex purchases, $1 ECB for Green Bag Tag
Out of pocket $.76!!

For whatever reason, the $10 ECB didn't print when my receipt printed.  If there's one store you want this sort of thing to happen, it's CVS.  They can manually print it out for you in just a few seconds and they shouldn't give you any trouble over it.  When I only got the $1 tag ECB and nothing else, I showed the cashier the ad in the circular, she glanced quickly at my receipt to verify that I had really purchased $20 worth, and with no hassle typed a few keys on the register and handed over the $10 that printed with a smile and an apology.
$.76 for four boxes of Playtex.  That is so worth an extra 30 seconds at the checkout.

Rite Aid
I went in to the store ahead of Andy while he finished his cigarette in the car.  He found me in the undisclosed item aisle staring morosely at the shelf.  Empty.  The sale tag was there, all bright yellow and taunting.  I checked to make sure they didn't have any in the back, and continued on with my trip.
After loading up on the Planters nuts - tons and tons of those available! - I wanted to glance at two more potential deals.  If you buy $10 in Burt's Bees items, you receive a $2 +UP back.  I wanted to get some of this as a gift, but the coupons out there aren't great.  We decided to go ahead and get it anyway since it was still a decent price after +UP and, y'know, it's a gift and we don't have to get everything for free.  I added an $8 lotion and a $3 lip balm (!!) to the basket.
I then went in search of photo frames.  They were advertised as "starting at $6.99" and you receive a $3 +UP for each one purchased.  With the free photo collage I got from Walgreens a few weeks ago, and another free one coming up on Thursday, I wanted to get a frame or two to go with the prints if the price was right.  Boy was the price right!  Most of the 8x10 frames were in the $10-15 range, but tucked in the corner was not only a $5.99 frame, but also three frames marked at $3.  Each had the $3 +UP tag under them, meaning all four frames were $2.99 total after +UP!  Between the frames and the Burt's Bees items, my total was over $25 meaning I could use an additional $5 coupon to bring the prices on everything even lower.

Transaction 1
3 8x10 photo frames - $9
1 8x10 photo frame - $5.99
1 Burt's Bees lotion - $7.99
1 Burt's Bees lip balm - $2.99
Subtotal $25.97
Less $5 off $25 purchase, less $1 off lotion
Total $19.97, received back $14 +UPs (four $3 frames, one $2 Burt's)
Out of pocket $5.97

Transactions 2 & 3
7 Planters nuts (various) - $27.93
Less $5 off $25, less seven $1 off
Total $15.93 each, $31.86 for both, received back $33 in +UPs (fourteen $2 Planters, one $5 Planters bonus)
$1.14 profit!!

Shelf price $129.33
Total $51.83
Rewards earned $47
Out of pocket $4.83

Fourteen cans of nuts (including 3 cashews, YUM!), four photo frames, and some very fancy Burt's Bees items for under $5.  Wow.  Wow.

I also got a raincheck for the undisclosed item.  My favorite cashier rang us out today and when I asked for the raincheck she offered to call some other stores to see if they had any.  I thanked her and said that I'd rather spend my money at THIS store.  Coupons or not, the more sales the store gets, the more hours the employees get and the better the store does overall.  They treat me very well and in return I'll pour my coupons into their sales totals.  She gave me the raincheck and the heads up that more are coming on the truck Wednesday.  We shall see if I can score this item then.  ;)

And now the totals for the day
Shelf price $151.09
Total $63.59
Rewards earned $58
Out of pocket $5.59, a savings of $145.50 or 93%!!!

No comments: