Saturday, December 11, 2010

Sunday Gameplan for 12/12

At first I thought this would be another slow week.  Rite Aid came screaming out of nowhere, though, and my short shopping list turned into a spreadsheet-figuring mess.

I'm not sure if I'll bother with CVS this week.  There's a really good deal on batteries, but we use rechargeables so I'm not particularly inclined to get regular ones that probably won't get used.  This may change later in the week as I have a couple free Excedrin coupons on the way; if they get here in time, I'll use those as part of an Excedrin deal going on.

Wags is another uncertainty.  I have to go this week to use up at least $10 of my rewards that expire on the 18th, but something apparently went completely awry with their registers early this morning.  My carefully crafted transaction is probably useless at this point; I'll go to use what I have to and get some super cheap plastic cutlery and Sharpie markers at the very least.

Rite Aid, though.  Oh Rite Aid, how I love you. 
My plan is sort of nebulous right now because I have no idea what stock is going to be like on three screaming deals tomorrow.  I'm going to buy what I can based on what they've got and work with one or two (or more?) transactions on the fly based on that.

Deal 1: Select Airwick products are buy one get one free.  The candles are $5.99ea and I have coupons for $3 off each candle (11/14 Smart Source circular).  Since you can use one coupon on each item, that means each pair of candles is free after coupon.  Even better than that, you get a $3 +UP for every $10 spent.  I'm working off the assumption that it's calculated after the BOGO sale, so 4 candles = $11.98, minus $3 coupons = free, and receive back a $3 +UP for spending $10 pre-coupon: $3 profit.  If the pre-sale price is counted, I'd get two $3 +UPs back; I'm not planning on that, but if it happens it'll be a nice bonus.  I have 8 coupons so I'll buy 4 or 8 candles depending on stock.
Deal 2: this is one of my screaming deals that I'll buy based on stock because no coupons are involved.  Rite Aid brand envelopes and tape are BOGO, and you get a $2 +UP for each two you buy.  Each pair of tape is $1.49 after BOGO, each pair of envelopes are $2.29 after BOGO.  After +UPs, the tape is a $.51 profit per pair and the envelopes cost just $.29 per pair.  I'll buy as many as possible of these two items and it should just about come to free in the end.
Deal 3: another screaming deal.  Revlon beauty tools are 40% off and you get a $2 +UP for each two items purchased.  This includes smaller items like nail clippers and emery boards, some of which will ring up as under $1 after the 40% sale.  I also have a store coupon for $3 off Revlon nail care, which will bring my total even lower.  As with the previous deal, I'll buy what I can based on what they've got - my price point is regular price of $1.69 or less.  There's also a $1 Rite Aid Single Check Rebate (limit 1) I'll get whether I buy 2 items or 200.  Hey, a buck's a buck!
Deal 4:  the third screaming deal.  Ecotools products are buy one get one 50% off with a $5 +UP on each two items.  Here's the math: I'll buy as many items as possible priced at $2.99 or less.  Two items at $2.99 come to $4.49 after sale, and I'll get $5 back for each pair: a $.51 profit.  Yeah, I'll buy as much as I can at that price point. 
Deal 5: Colgate Sensitive toothpaste is on sale for $3.50 with a $3.50 +UP back.  I don't need any more free toothpaste, but I have $.75 off coupons for this stuff.  I'll take what I can based on my coupons and store stock levels for a $.75 profit on each tube.  The food pantry will love more toothpaste since they don't get much donated!

I'll look at what I can get of the above deals and break them down into multiple transactions as needed to use the $5 off $25 purchase coupons to maximize my savings.  The goal is to get my pre-coupon total as close to $25.01 as possible to take that extra $5 off.  For this week, the Colgate Sensitive toothpaste may come in quite handy to use as a "filler" since I get the full purchase price back in +UPs. 
Let's say I buy 8 Airwick candles for a total of $23.96.  I can add two Colgate toothpastes to that transaction to bring my total to $30.96.  I'd use a $5 coupon, two $.75 Colgate coupons, and eight $3 Airwick coupons for a total coupon deduction of $30.50.  I would owe $.46 in cash, and I'd receive back $6 in Airwick +UPs and $7 in Colgate +UPs; I'd get paid $12.54 to take all that stuff out of the store!
Since these $5 off $25 coupons are likely done for good at the end of this month, I'll use them as effectively as possible for the 20 days left.

I've got to get all my dealing done tomorrow morning.  We're making Christmas cookies with my Grandma Sunday afternoon, and Sunday evening we're forecast for a big nasty snowstorm to start rolling through.  They're calling for a foot or more by Wednesday.  *sigh*  I love to save money, but even I have my limits.

No comments: