Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dual Drugstore Deals: $148 for a $17 profit, and sleeping soundly for two years

What a day, what a day!  Shopping should always be this fun.

CVS
1 Thermacare neck, back & shoulder 1ct $2.79
Less $1 off any Thermacare
Total $1.79, received back $2.79 ECB (limit 1)
$1 profit!!

This wasn't very exciting.  The only item that drew my attention at CVS this week was the free after ECB Thermacare.  I had coupons for $1 off, but with the limit being just one I couldn't do much.  If CVS wasn't directly on the way to Rite Aid I wouldn't have even bothered stopping, but what can ya do?  Some weeks aren't great at some stores and this was one of them for CVS.  At least I got a Thermacare (which I use like crazy) and a Green Bag Tag scan.

Rite Aid
Transaction 1
6 bonus packs 3mg Natrol melatonin $8.49ea (2 60ct bottles banded together for a total of 12 bottles)
Subtotal $50.94
Less BOGO sale - $25.47
Less $5 off $25 purchase, less six $3 off any Natrol
Total $2.47, received back $6 in +UP ($2 for each two bonus packs)
$3.53 profit!!

By my count, this is 720 days' (nights?) worth of melatonin.  I should be sleeping soundly for two years, and they paid me $3.53 to do it.


Transaction 2
4 candy bars $.50ea, $2
3 Clearasil daily wash $5.49ea, $16.74
3 Clearasil Overnight Serum $5.24ea, $15.72 (clearanced 50% off from $10.49ea)
3 Rite Aid coffee 11oz $1.99ea, $5.97
3 Motrin PM 20ct $5.99ea, $17.97
2 fishing game toy thingies $2.24ea, $4.48
1 package Rite Aid beef jerky for Andy, $3.59 with my discount
Subtotal $66.47
Less $5 off $25 coupon, less BOGO candy, less $.50 off 2 candy, less three $2 off Clearasil in-ad coupons, less three $2 off Clearasil manufacturer's coupons, less three $5 off Clearasil Overnight in-ad coupons, less three $2 off Rite Aid coffee, less three $2 off Motrin in-ad coupons, less three $2 off Motrin mfg coupons
Total $15.47
Received back $28 in +UPs: $1 for buying 4 candy bars, $2 for each Clearasil product, $3 for each Motrin, $2 for each game, and a bonus $1 for each game
$12.53 profit!!

The last transaction was a bit of a doozy.  I could have broken it up into two, but I hadn't brought enough $5 off $25 coupons with me.  *shrug*


The fishing game thingies are donations.  They're normally $2.99 but are on sale for 25% off, and each one gives a $2 +UP back.  Well, I got the $2 +UP for "GAMES PUZZLES" but I also got another $1 +UP for each for "ASST GAMES".  That makes each game a $.76 profit.
Look for the Clearasil Overnight Serum.  It's normally $10.49, but was marked as 50% off clearance in my store - $5.24ea.  There's an in-ad coupon for $5 off any Clearasil Overnight, which brings them down to $.24ea and you get a $2 +UP for each bottle.
This was the week for in-ad coupons.  There's the $5 Clearasil Overnight, $2 for regular Clearasil, and $2 for Motrin PM.  These coupons can be used along with any manufacturer's coupons you may have, so for the Motrin I was able to use a $2 coupon from the newspaper and the $2 Rite Aid in-ad coupon to bring each bottle to $1.99.  With a $3 +UP back, you get paid a buck to take a bottle out of the store.  Same with the Clearasil; if I'd had more manufacturer's coupons on me, I could have used them on top of the clearance and in-ad coupons for the Overnight Serum to make those even more of a moneymaker.

Today's totals
Shelf price $148.09
Total $19.73
Rewards earned $36.79
$17.06 profit!!

It was crazy busy when we went up to check out at Rite Aid.  One register was tied up with an older couple who were both shouting at the store manager about something to do with Pepsi and there was a long line of people with one or two items at another register.  I pulled our cart of stuff off to the side to wait for things to die down.  As I've said before, I wouldn't want to be behind me in line so I much prefer to wait out any craziness if possible.  The individual-item people cleared out and the the angry Pepsi people left and just like that the store was quiet and empty.
The store manager was overseeing a new cashier (I assume new, I didn't recognize her) at the register and both were looking a little shell-shocked.  I chatted with the manager a bit as our stuff was rung up and at one point asked if it had been that crazy all morning.  She said it had and that people were getting really angry about them being out of sale items.  I asked if it was the Hershey's Pot of Gold candy - it's on sale for $3.99 again with a $2 +UP, but there's a distribution issue at the Hershey warehouse and many stores have been out for a month now.  She said that was exactly it and that she much prefers when customers like me come in.  I was all "yay!" and said I much preferred coming to her store rather than some others in the area because all the employees are so awesome and "The other week I got one of those surveys on my receipt and I filled it out - (employee name) rang me out but I said everyone here rocks."
She got all excited.  "That was you??  Corporate sent that to me and I printed it, had a little meeting with all the associates, and I hung it up in the office.  Not many people fill those out, so we were thrilled!"  We finished ringing out, got lots of "thank yous" and "happy holidays!" and I skipped out to the car merrily trailing my mile-long receipt after me.  I've heard that stores who get compliments on the surveys get special recognition and bonuses and other fabulous prizes so I hope they get something nice from the one I filled out.  =)

No comments: