Thursday, December 2, 2010

Review: Tom's of Maine Wicked Fresh

So Tom's of Maine recently put out a new line of dental care called Wicked Fresh.  Like other Tom's products, it's all natural, sustainable, and cruelty-free.  I had the opportunity to try the Wicked Fresh Cool Peppermint toothpaste and overall I really like it.


When you open the tube, be prepared for two things.  First, it's super minty smelling; not the fake, sickly sweet peppermint smell, but a very natural, real peppermint scent.  It made me anticipate springtime when I'll be able to get a mint plant or two growing.  Second, the appearance of the toothpaste might throw you off a little.  It made me look twice.  I'm so used to pure white, perfectly smooth toothpaste that the slightly grainy-looking, off-white appearance took me by surprise.  It makes sense, though, since there aren't weird emulsifiers and strange chemicals in Tom's.  Of course it's not going to look like standard toothpaste.

The graininess may be more pronounced once you've got the brush in your mouth for some people.  On my first brushing, I was kind of unhappy with what felt like a very fine grit between my teeth that persisted for several minutes after brushing.  If you've ever seen a cat eat some peanut butter, I was doing pretty much that when I came out of the bathroom.  Andy had to try it when I was making all sorts of funny faces and he didn't find it grainy or gritty in the least, so maybe it's just me.

Once I got over the weird graininess, I was surprised at the difference in how clean my mouth felt.  As mentioned before, the scent isn't sickly sweet minty; the taste isn't either.  It has a clean, nice peppermint taste that really lingers and it doesn't leave behind the sweet aftertaste that other toothpastes tend to have.  I liked the taste so much and was so convinced it had wiped out the evidence of my garlicky pasta for dinner that I repeatedly and enthusiastically breathed in Andy's face, encouraging him to smell my breath.  He agreed that I was quite minty and, since he's used to the weird things I do, didn't have me committed to the nearest asylum.

By my second brushing with Tom's, I didn't notice the graininess that I'd not liked before.  It's not the perfectly smooth paste I'm used to, but I didn't find it gritty anymore.  The taste remained pleasant and though I didn't keep up with exhaling every five minutes at Andy, I did feel that my mouth was clean and my breath non-stinky.

I've been using the Wicked Fresh for a couple weeks now and I have to say I really like it.  It's definitely different from the standard and the differences are all positive.  My mouth feels clean, my breath fresh, and it really does a number on strong-smelling foods that can leave unpleasant reminders for you and those you're in close contact with.  Toothpaste isn't something I'd given much thought to in the past, but I appreciate Tom's corporate values and their dedication to producing natural products that aren't tested on animals.

Good stuff and worth a try.  The Wicked Fresh runs about $4 per tube at most major retailers and you can often find coupons if you want to give it a shot!


note: I was provided with several tubes of Tom's of Maine Wicked Fresh toothpaste to facilitate this review.  I received no other compensation.  My opinions are my own.

No comments: