Thursday, December 9, 2010

The early bird gets the worm...but, really, who wants a worm?

With all the running around going on, and with Andy working overtime this week, I didn't rush out to take advantage of the few grocery deals I wanted to get.  Lately we've gotten into a shopping rhythm: drugstores on Sunday morning, Giant Eagle on Monday or Tuesday evening.  I like this schedule for normal weeks because I have access to any useful food coupons that might come out in Sunday's paper.  It works well.  We wind up with three days to catch the tail end of Giant Eagle's sale week.

Well, that plan kind of failed this week thanks to the creature to the left.  I wasn't too concerned about the weather forecasts calling for lots of snow Monday & Tuesday.  We don't live in the area that tends to get the worst lake effect snow, so when a lake effect storm comes through it's not as bad as it is just 30 miles to the east of us.

Monday was a crazy busy evening.  We were gonna go shopping on Tuesday but it was a bit snowy and just too darn cold.  The snow was supposed to end late Tuesday, so we still had Wednesday - the last day of the sale week - to get our butts to the store.

Yeah, Wednesday around 3 or 4 in the afternoon the snow really picked up.  Andy's normal 10 minute commute home took 40 minutes and it just kept snowing and snowing and snowing.  The roads were a mess.  Cheap frozen veggies and free milk wasn't worth trying to drive in the winter wonderland outside.

I gambled by putting the shopping trip off, and I lost that bet.  Fortunately we've got plenty of food and I didn't miss anything completely awesome.  There are cheaper frozen veggies this week and the milk is only two bucks at Rite Aid. 

But the sun is out today.  Even though it's cold, I'm pretty sure the weather is taunting me.

No comments: