Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Fabulous gifts without breaking the bank

I'm a huge fan of Christmas.  The indulgent food, the festive atmosphere, the family gatherings - those are all awesome, but my favorite part of the season has to be the presents.

It's the giving gifts part I like, actually.  Sure, I like getting presents, but gifting to others is where I have the most fun.

Once the summer begins winding down, I begin the hunt for the perfect gift for everyone on my list.  I'm not much of a gift-card-giver; I really enjoy searching high and low for a gift that my recipient will use and enjoy.  A big part of the hunt is finding those gifts while staying firmly within my budget and, being a cheapskate, my budget is tighter than Robert Plant's jeans (look it up, people).  This is not to say that I give shitty dollar store presents; I do my best to balance thoughtful gifts with a budget I can afford.

This Christmas I decided to put together a gift basket for each of my immediate family members.  Of course, being that I come from a large, close-knit family, "immediate" really means like 10 people.  There are also a handful of close-but-not-immediate family members that I wanted to include on my list as well, so staying in budget was even more important.

What goes in a gift basket?  Well, most anything, really.  They're easy to personalize and easy to scale.
Let's start with Andy's mom.  His family is more low-key about the holidays and they only exchange small gifts.  I put together this modest basket:
A scented candle, some lotion, some body wash, a bag of Ricola drops for the winter season, and a big handful of Hershey kisses scattered about.  There's also a holiday card (from TinyPrints.com - shameless plug!).  A basket like this is great for a woman who likes to pamper herself and lends itself well to recipients from co-workers to a future mother in law.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, baskets are good for kids too.

My 9 year old niece is at that odd age where she's just getting into the nearly-teen type stuff but not quite ready for grown-up beauty items.  I filled her basket with some smaller bottles of body wash, lotion, and body spray along with a couple nail polishes, a fleece blanket in her favorite color, some hair bands, some candy, and the Despicable Me DVD.  I tried to balance fun kid stuff (candy, Silly Bandz, hair bands in bright colors) with slightly more "grown up" items.
Behind my niece's basket you can see a veritable army of others all ready for the rest of my loved ones - each basket filled with various gifts from fancy lotions to scissors to mixed nuts depending on the recipient.

How to keep costs down?
  • I found the baskets at the dollar store.  They're small, sturdy plastic tubs (for lack of a better term) with handles that can be re-used in a million different ways.  They cost, believe or not, one dollar each.  Cuz I got them at the dollar store.
  • The tissue paper and wrapping paper were free after sale & coupon, and I made sure to get enough that I can still use them next year.
  • By combining coupons with great sales, I was able to get at least 90% of the items in the baskets for no cost to me but tax.  When a quality body wash is free to me or better, like the Olay, I'll get as many as I can.  If I can get six pair of scissors for free, I'll get all six pair because between couponing family members and crafty family members, I know they'll be welcome gifts.
  • By utilizing coupons combined with sales as effectively as possible, this freed up a ton of room in my budget for gifts that I can't find for free.  I've never seen a coupon for savings bonds, but because I saved so much elsewhere I was able to get my baby nephew a little something his parents can put aside for him to enjoy later. 
  • Small touches make a world of difference.  A basket with random crap thrown in it isn't a great gift.  A basket that's neatly arranged is a good gift.  A basket that's neatly arranged and "filled out" with a handful of candy, an inexpensive & useful gadget (a wooden spoon or two for an avid cook, a small container of holiday sprinkles for a baker, a lip balm for winter gifts), and/or a heartfelt card is a great gift.  You don't have to go all Martha Stewart, but a bit of personalization and a little presentation goes a long way without busting your budget.
I had a lot of fun searching out things to fill the baskets with and in putting them together.  This is one trick I'm definitely keeping up my sleeve for upcoming birthdays and holidays!

No comments: