Friday, December 17, 2010

Dual Drugstore Deals: $130 for $44 and we will never, ever get scurvy

Yes, my spending was VERY high today.  I'd like to say it was painfully high, but I'm actually very excited about the deals we got.  It's really not painful at all; that $44 includes a new-release movie and a gift card, both Christmas gifts for my niece & nephew.  They're worth it!

Not pictured: 2 gallons milk, 5 packages Goody Ouchless hair bands

CVS
3 Diet Pepsi $2.97
1 box Russell Stover chocolates $4.99
1 Kraft Easy Mac $1.19
2 trial-size Advil PM $1.98
1 pack of gum $.99
1 iTunes gift card $15
1 Despicable Me DVD $19.99
Shelf price $54.31, subtotal $47.11, less $1 off Russell Stover, less $1 off Kraft, less $2 off Advil, less $10 off Despicable Me
Total $33.11, received back $1 ECB (bag tag)
Out of pocket $32.11

When you buy $15 in iTunes gift cards at CVS (through 12/18), you get $10 off the movie Despicable Me.  I'd been asking my older nephew what sort of gift card he would like for Christmas and he finally told me the other day he'd decided on iTunes.  Perfect timing on his part!  He'll get the iTunes, and my niece will receive Despicable Me.  The $10 comes off instantly when you buy both items together, and you also get another $10 off coupon for a second DVD purchase on your receipt.  It's a great deal as it is, but with the bonus coupon it's even better if you'd like two inexpensive new release DVDs for the holiday season. 
The Russell Stover.  I make no apologies.  Andy wanted it, and the Magic Coupon Machine spit out a coupon for $1 off.  He's currently studying the box of chocolates intently and handing me the coconut ones.
The Magic Coupon Machine also spit out coupons for $1 off Kraft and $2 off Advil.  The little cup of mac & cheese was $1.19 and it'll be great for Andy to take to work for a $.19 lunch.  The Advil was $.99 per 4-pack so those gave me $.02 overage on the pair with the $2 Advil coupon.  You can't ever have too much painkiller product 'round these parts!
The soda should be self-explanatory by now.  The gum is my Grandpa's favorite kind so I got it to throw in his Christmas gift basket.

Then, on to Walgreens!
I had six $5 Register Rewards I wanted to spend tonight, two of which expire tomorrow.  We walked in with sort of a half-assed plan; it's late in the week, I had no idea what stock would be like, and after my last experience in this store I wasn't sure what I'd be facing at the register.

I noted that an excellent cashier was working at the front register, and, with relief, saw my favorite gal over at the Cosmetics register.  Crappy service wouldn't be an issue.
Next, we beelined for the Walgreens Energy Booster.  This is the store brand version of Emergen-C, the vitamin C supplement powder that you mix in with water.  Andy loves this stuff; he makes up a cup of it at the first sign of a sniffle in either of us.  It's normally $8.99 per box (!!!) but is on sale for $3 with a $3 RR back.  We grabbed five of those.
Various Goody hair products are on sale for $2 each with a $2 RR back.  We grabbed five packages of hair bands as well.
After that we picked up a few other items and headed for the line-free Cosmetics counter.  The cashier was in another aisle and called out that she'd be right over, so I took that opportunity to lay out one box of the Energy Boost, one package of Goody, and a $5 RR.  She came over after a moment and was quite amused to see my neat little line of products and RRs ready to go.  It was like an advancing army of rubber bands and vitamin C.

Transactions 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5
1 Walgreens Energy Boost, 36ct box $3
1 Goody Ouchless hair bands $2
Shelf price $11.98, total $5, no coupons, paid with expiring $5 RR, received back $3 RR (Energy Boost) & $2 RR (Goody)
Out of pocket: ZERO!!  A big fat nothin' but tax!  I paid in loose change!

Transaction 6
2 gallons milk $4.58
2 bottles Coffee Mate Peppermint Mocha creamer $3
2 packages Silly Bandz $.99 BOGO
1 package steel wool scrubbies $2.49
2 candy bars $1
Shelf price $19.21, total $12.06, no coupons, paid in RRs, no rewards back
Out of pocket $12.06

The sixth transaction was just to get rid of some of these RRs (I'm still refusing to call them Jingle Cash!) and turn them into stuff we wanted/needed.  I don't know about you, but I certainly need that peppermint mocha coffee creamer.  YUM!  We spent under $2 in cash for everything at Walgreens - just the cost of tax. 
Silly Bandz: for the kids' Christmas baskets
Candy bars: the cashiers get a small bonus if they "upsell" certain items through the month.  The candy bars are one of those items this month and I'll periodically buy the push products for a good cashier.  We have so much candy it's obscene, so those will go in the kids' baskets as well.

Totals for the day
Shelf price $130.42
Total $70.17
Rewards earned $26
Out of pocket $44.17

I have $19 in Walgreens rewards left over from today that are good through the end of this month.  No rush to burn through them and next week's sales are pretty grim looking right now.  I'll hold on to those 'til after Christmas. 

Speaking of Christmas:


YAY CHRISTMAS TREE AND PRESENTS!!!
I have two small items to pick up, but other than those the shopping and wrapping are done!  11 family members and I spent under $60 total out of pocket for everything including wrapping materials, baskets, and the gifts themselves.

No comments: