Monday, October 25, 2010

Grocery week wrapup: $134 worth of groceries for $55

There were only a few really good deals I wanted to take advantage of at the grocery store this week.  Of course one of those deals was 18lbs of canned tomatoes which is always fun to lug up three flights of stairs.  *sigh*

Chairman Meow just knew there was something in the loot stack for him and he wasted no time looking for it.  Hey buddy, it's behind you!



So, today.  Couple of good deals, as I said, with the only standouts being five 4-packs of toilet paper at a $.50 profit ($1ea, had five $.55 off coupons which doubled fully giving me $.50 overage), big cans of tomatoes for $.57ea, a free bottle of Tabasco, another free box of Tic Tacs, and a bag of cat food for $.98.  There were lukewarm deals on 6 cans of wet cat food for $1 (Chairman loves those and gets them as a special treat, though I've been able to get them free in the past) and tortillas for just over $1 per package.  The Enchilada Lasagna - I'll post that recipe at some point, I promise - has been requested so I grabbed the stuff to make it at decent prices.  Oh, and the Heluvagood cheese blocks were $1 after coupon - not a spectacular price, but it's okay for the brand and Andy loooooves that stuff so we got three blocks.

Most of the cost was meat.  We were down to a pound of ground beef and 4lbs of chicken in the freezer; with several types of meat on sale for $1.99lb this week I grabbed a bunch.  Even got some pork ribs!
Oh, and a bottle of chili powder that was five freakin' dollars!  We just ran out and I didn't realize how low we were in time to order in from my regular spice company, so I had to pay five freakin' dollars at the grocery store for a teeny tiny little bottle.  Holy crap, what a ripoff!!
(by the by, if you do a lot of cooking, I highly recommend Marshalls Creek Spices.  Super cheap, excellent quality, excellent service, flat shipping rate, and the bottles are about 10 times the size as those in the grocery store for much less money.)



Not pictured: 1 gallon of milk, 5 bottles Diet Pepsi, four 64oz bottles Old Orchard cranberry-pomegranate juice, and some produce.  The milk & produce are in the fridge and I didn't feel like lugging the juice and the rest of the soda up for a photo op, so it stayed in the car for now.


So we've got 5 4-packs of TP, 12 large cans of diced tomatoes, 7lb pork ribs, 7.5lb ground chuck, 1dz eggs at $.88, 3 cans Chunky soup for poor sick Andy, sour cream, cheese, tortillas, soda, enchilada fixins, hot dog buns, cat food, hot sauce, MORE Tic Tacs, and saltine crackers. 

The juice was on sale like 6 weeks ago for $1.75 per bottle, which is a decent price.  We were going to get some but they were out of stock in the flavor we like so we got a raincheck.  In the interim I came into some $.50 off coupons which I filed with the raincheck and promptly forgot about.  I uncovered them yesterday while getting everything together for the shopping trip and realized the coupons expire at the end of the month.  Whoops!  I can't believe I waited so long to get $.75 juice!

I was all set to get a bunch of free rice.  Carolina Rice is on sale 10/$10 for the 1lb packages and I've got seven coupons for $.50/1.  Since that doubles, that means free rice!  Except...the shelf was bare.  And they wouldn't give me a raincheck because the sale isn't advertised in the circular.  I'll call tomorrow during the day when management is in and see if they'll order me some on the next truck, I suppose. 

Today's shelf price: $134.14
Total: $54.96
Received $1 OYNO from the wet cat food
Out of pocket cost: $53.96 for a savings of $80.88 or 60%!!
 Next week once again looks pretty slow unless some great food coupons come out this weekend.  A coupon for Skippy peanut butter would be awesome to combine with the upcoming sale because we have no peanut butter.  Zero.  Yikes.
I will take advantage of the Vicks Sinex sale, but that's the only thing jumping out at me right now. I'm sure I'll find something else to buy, though!

No comments: