Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Grocery week wrapup: $128 worth of groceries for $29.43

As mentioned, it was a fairly slow week at the grocery store.  There were a few great deals to be had, but nothing like the last two trips.  Next week doesn't look much better.  Fortunately we have plenty of cereal to see us through.

First transaction
Eight 40oz bottles Heinz Ketchup - $2ea on sale, I had 8 coupons for $.75/1 which doubled.  Total: $4.
We received a $5 OYNO Catalina back.

Second transaction
Four boxes Corn Flakes Simply Cinnamon: $.49ea
Four boxes Cinnabon cereal: $.49ea
Two boxes Raisin Bran: $1.99ea
Two boxes Corn Flakes: $1.99ea, had a coupon for $1 off any bag of flour when you buy two
5lb bag flour: $.99
Two cartons V8 soup: $1ea
Two bottles V8 Fusion w/tea: $1ea
Two Ortega soft taco kits: $1.50ea
Ten cans Swanson low sodium chicken broth: $.40ea
Two cans Bush's beans: $.57ea (selection wasn't great, so we only got two)
Three Toaster Strudels: $1.17ea
Two 4C shredded cheese: $2ea
Two 4C breadcrumbs: FREE
Two pounds butter: $2ea (we're about out, desperately need a good sale on these)
One 20oz Pepsi Max: FREE



We also got a little produce.  No meat today as there's a pretty decent sale starting Thursday that we'll take advantage of.

Yes, we got paid $1 to take 8 huge bottles of ketchup out of the store.  $4 paid, $5 OYNO back = WIN.  Fun fact - we got 20lbs of ketchup today!
The cereal was nearly unbeatable.  The Cinnabon & Simply Cinnamon were on sale for $1.99ea, and I had $.75/1 coupons which doubled to bring those down to $.49 per box from the normal price of $3.19ea.  We now have something like 24 boxes of cereal stockpiled. That should last us 4-6 months.
Andy had been wanting plain ol' Corn Flakes.  I had a coupon for $1 off a bag of flour when you buy two Corn Flakes, and with all three items being on sale it worked out well.  $5 for 5lbs of flour and two boxes of cereal is a fine price.
I thought he only put 1 box of the Raisin Bran in the cart, not two.  This trip should've been $2 cheaper.  Oh well!
The V8 soup & juice were in my "try if free or nearly free" file.  At a buck each after sale & coupon, I figured we'd give 'em a go.  Andy and I are both feeling a little under the weather so the soup is welcome.
The 4C cheese was on sale for $3 from $4.79.  I had some $1 off coupons AND some coupons to get free breadcrumbs ($3.09) when you buy the cheese.  $4 for two cheeses and two breadcrumbs, both of which will go well with all the pasta we got for free last week - not bad at all.

Today's shelf price: $128.01
Total: $38.43
Used $3 OYNO from last week, $5 OYNO from the ketchup
Forgotten coupon: will get $1 refund*
True out of pocket cost: $29.43, for a savings of  $98.58 or 77%!
Next week is shaping up to be similar to this week: a few good grocery deals but nothing outstanding.  We'll get some free toilet paper, cheap eggs, some acceptable prices on ground beef, chicken & pork, and a few more canned tomatoes for $.50ea.
I'll hit Rite Aid to take a $10 profit on Alka Seltzer cold & flu medicine, maybe some other stuff.
I'm sure CVS will have something worthwhile to get for free or nearly free - actually, we'll probably stop there later this week to get another cheap milk and to use some freebie coupons I got.

* Giant Eagle, the grocery store we shop at, is overall an extremely coupon-friendly place.  They double up to $.99, they don't fuss about internet printables, and perhaps my favorite policy has to do with how they handle forgetful customers like me who accidentally leave a coupon at home.  I had a $1 off two Raisin Bran or Corn Flakes coupon sitting on my printer that I meant to take with us.  Well, I didn't, and I'm not too concerned about it because Giant Eagle will take a coupon up to 7 days after the sale.  I just need to head back up there in the next week with my receipt and the coupon and they'll refund the $1 to our debit card - no hassle, no fuss, no questions asked!  I've already got everything I need in my purse and we'll go whenever to get our dollar back.

1 comment:

Misty said...

I absolutely LOVE the VFusion w/tea, particularly the pomegranate and raspberry flavors. Delicious.

I did a little more digging, and I found that there is another store about half an hour away that does double coupons, but the coupons must not be for more than half of the retail price OR more than 40 cents.