Sunday, March 6, 2011

Rite Aid Run - $77 for $2, plus monthly spending

Will a couponer buy anything if it's free? 

I think it's safe to say the answer is an unequivocal "yes."  If it's food and free, I don't care what it is; I'll take it.  Since we're not taxed on food, anything we don't care to eat can go straight to the local food pantry.  It appears my local pantry will be getting a bunch of sardines from me. 

Not pictured: 8 more cans tuna, 8 more tins sardines

Rite Aid - shelf price $77.26
8 Airwick room spray - $1.69ea, BOGO sale, $6.76
4 Thermacare back, 1ct - $3.59ea (with 10% discount), $14.36
16 cans Bumble Bee tuna - $1.49ea, BOGO50%, $17.84
14 tins Port Clyde sardines - $1.29ea, BOGO50%, $13.51
1 Snickers bar - $.79 (10% discount)
1 cupcake serving platter $2.50 (clearance)
Subtotal $55.76, less four BOGO Airwick coupons, less four $3.99 Thermacare store coupons
Total $33.04, received back $30.88 in +UPs ($1 for each tuna & sardine, $.88 for Snickers - LIMIT ONE)
Out of pocket $2.16

How cute is that cupcake platter??  It was on clearance for $2.50; this would have been an overall profitable trip without it, but I couldn't pass it up.

The sardines?  Yeah, this is what I meant by couponers will buy anything if it's free.  These things are on sale buy one, get one half off, which works out to $.965 per tin.  You get back a $1 +UP per tin, making better than free when all is said and done.  I figured Chairman Meow would love some sardines as a treat - cats love fish, right?  Not this cat.  I cut one up on a plate for him and, after sniffing at it, he gave me a look that implied I'd just tried to feed him toxic waste.  He won't touch 'em.
I hope someone at the food pantry likes sardines, because they've got at least 13 tins heading their way.

The tuna is all mine, though.  I love me some tuna salad.  We'll be heading back to Rite Aid later in the week after the next delivery comes to hopefully load up on a bunch more.  At ~$.11 per can ($.07 when balanced with the sardine profit), and with expiration dates late in 2013, I'll get a decent amount.

A few days late (it's been a hectic week), but better late than never - February's monthly spending:
Shelf price $888.99
Total $316.01
Rewards earned $229
Out of pocket $87.01, for a savings of $801.98, or 90%!!

I toned down the shopping a bit in February as we were getting critical on space.  With the extra shelving we got, along with donating some of the existing health & beauty items, I can take advantage of some more stocking up if possible. 

I especially need to add to our food stocks.  The increasing grocery prices really cut in to my savings last month, and coupled with sales and coupons that haven't been as great we spent a lot more on groceries than usual.  I'm in desperate need of a great coffee sale, as well as cheese, canned tomatoes, and sugar.

Tomorrow I'll be posting another giveaway, so check back!

No comments: