Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: Maybelline Super Stay 24 lip color

I've mentioned before that I'm not much of a makeup wearer.  Not only have I been a tomboy my entire life (seriously, I don't own a single skirt), but I really get annoyed when I spend half an hour getting myself all dolled up only to find creased eye shadow, smudged liner, and lips barren of lipstick within an hour.  Honestly, for my day-to-day existence, makeup just isn't worth it to me.

Lipstick has always been my biggest annoyance.  I love a pretty lip color, but I just don't like eating dinner and finding a red-streaked fork or a pink-ringed glass.  I don't want to eat my makeup.  With that in mind, I've since tended towards various subtle shades of lip gloss that can be easily wiped away and just as easily reapplied.  It's easier that way.

Maybelline asked me to try their new Super Stay 24 lip color and, when I agreed, they sent me several tubes in varying shades.  The literature included promised a lip color that stays in place for 24 hours, and I could only shake my head; I'd never heard of any lipstick that really stayed in place without being all gross.  I'm a trooper, though, so after reading over the materials I pulled out the tube of Everlasting Wine and decided to give this stuff a real workout.

10:30am: Apply lip color carefully.  It's more like a gloss in consistency at first, but dries quickly.  Apply the included lip balm.
10:35am: Notice that my chosen lip color clashes horribly with my red pajamas.  Rather than start my experiment over, decide to live with my fashion faux pas.
10:40am: Start in on a big ol' cup of coffee in a bone-colored mug.  No lip prints left on the mug.
11:45am: Finish third cup of coffee.  Still no lip prints.  A quick check in the mirror shows this stuff has lasted an hour through three cups of coffee with no change in appearance.
12:30pm: Sit down with a tuna salad sandwich on wheat.  Surely bread and tuna salad will smudge this stuff, right?  I eat as messily as possible.
12:45pm: The Maybelline is still in place.  The sandwich didn't make a dent.
3:15pm: Andy gets home from work and gives me a weird look.  "Are...are you wearing lipstick?" he asks.  I make kissy faces at him and, after he returns from racing away in terror at the prospect of lipstick prints, I explain the experiment.  He continues to look at me oddly.
4pm: Eat a handful of potato chips, drink some Diet Coke.  Nearly six hours and it still looks like I've just applied lipstick a moment earlier.  Reapply lip balm.
6:30pm: Finish eating pasta for dinner, plenty of slurping.  The lip color is still unchanged from 10:30am.  Read literature more closely to determine how to remove the cosmetic and discover it calls for an oil-based makeup remover.
6:45pm: I have no makeup remover.  Idly wonder if I'll be wearing permanent lip color, then shrug and drink a mug of milk.  Milk tastes better from a coffee mug, and the Maybelline stays in place.
8:30pm: After running several loads of laundry, take a break for a phone call with Mom.  Tell her about my experiment, and she can't stop laughing at me for wearing lipstick while doing laundry.  Andy continues to look at me oddly.
9pm: Kiss Andy goodnight.  He instinctively wipes at his face to remove the lipstick prints that aren't there.  It's been nearly 12 hours and this stuff really is staying in place through everything.
10:30pm: Mirror check, reapply lip balm.  It looks like I've just freshly applied lipstick.  Acknowledge that I'll probably be wearing this to bed and make a halfhearted plan to go out for makeup remover the next day.
Midnight: Finish showering.  The lip color easily washed off with regular soap & water.  Go to bed suitably impressed.

So, after nearly 14 hours of wear, the Maybelline Super Stay 24 did exactly what it promised to do.  It stayed on through hot drinks, cold drinks, a sandwich, pasta, a kiss (or three), everyday activities, and more than a few curious swipes with my fingers to see how well it stayed in place.  Not only did it stay on, but when I was ready to remove the lip color it washed off without any extra product necessary.

While I won't wear lipstick every day - it's not necessary if I'm just kicking around the house, and it's not sanitary (in my mind) to wear it in the kitchen - I think I'll be wearing it more often than before as long as it's this brand.  Maybelline, you've swayed me with the Super Stay 24 line!







note: I was provided with several tubes of Maybelline Super Stay 24 to facilitate this review.  I received no other compensation.  My opinions are my own.

No comments: