Monday, February 28, 2011

Dual Drugstore Deals: $303 for a $5 profit!

Sorry for the delay in posting!  We had a family get-together all afternoon & evening so it's been a hectic day. 

We did our drugstore shopping in the morning and didn't even have time to unpack the car - we had to head straight to the party.  I actually had to cut the Walgreens trip short because we were starting to run late.

Also, reminder!  The Pillsbury giveaway will end on Tuesday, 3/1, so if you haven't entered please leave a comment on that post to get your entry in!  I have another giveaway coming right after the Pillsbury one, so keep an eye on the blog.

Not pictured: 5 bottles Baby Magic baby wash, 6 more packs of BodiHeat heat patches, 1 more cherry cordial candy, 1 box Sambucol 30ct tablets

Walgreens - shelf price $73.85
1 Baby Magic wash, $3
2 20ct Motrin PM - $3ea, $6
Subtotal $9, used $6 off two Motrin
Total $3, received back two $3 RRs ($3 for Baby Magic, $3 for Motrin PM)
$3 profit!!

I did the above transaction 5 times for a total of 5 Baby Magic, 10 Motrins, and an overall profit of $15!
Now this was a little odd for Walgreens.  I had a stack of coupons for Motrin - five for $6 off two items, and a bunch more for $1 off.  The 20ct Motrin PM is on sale for $3 and you get a $3 reward back; since you only get one reward per transaction, at first it seems like I missed out on $3 per transaction.  However, with the $6 off coupon, both Motrins were free and I still received a $3 reward - $1.50 profit per bottle.  If I'd used the $1 coupons it would have been a $1 profit each, so overall this was the most profit for us.
I had planned to do the above transactions, then after using my $6 coupons I was going to switch back & forth between the Baby Magic and a single Motrin, using the $3 reward from the prior transaction to pay for the next.  Unfortunately we were out of time and had to leave right away to make the party, so I called it a day and gave some of the $1 coupons to our fantastic cashier so she could get herself some Motrin.

I handed off the 5 bottles of Baby Magic to my sister (along with all of last week's Johnson & Johnson) at the party.  At this point my nephew should be stocked up in wash & shampoo 'til he's 10.

We also had a massive haul at Rite Aid - shelf price $228.52:

(2 stores involved with this one, numerous transactions)

12 Lays Stax - $1ea, $12
16 BodiHeat heat patches 3-4ct - $1ea, $16
4 Burger King snacks - $1ea, $4
13 Combos - $1ea, $13
18 TGI Friday snacks - $1ea, $18
1 Sambucol 30ct tablets $1
2 Rite Aid coffee - $1.99ea, $3.98
3 Finesse conditioner - $.50ea, $1.50 (raincheck)
2 bags Dove chocolates - $1.24ea, $2.48 (clearance)
2 boxes Russell Stover chocolates - $2.49ea, $4.98 (clearance)
1 cupcake box $.24 (clearance)
2 cherry cordial candies - $.33ea, $.66 (filler)
Subtotal $77.84, less $1 off Sambucol, less two $2 off Rite Aid coffee
Total $72.84, received back $63 in +UPs ($1 for each Stax, TGIF, Combos, Burger King, BodiHeat)
Out of pocket $9.84

Yeah, okay, so there are 4 types of bagged snacks on sale for $1ea this week.  Through Tuesday, each of these will spit out a $1 +UP, which makes them FREE.  Same deal with the BodiHeat heat patches - on sale for $1, producing an unadvertised $1 +UP through Tuesday.
This may seem like a ridiculous amount of snacks, but, in case you haven't noticed, my family has a LOT of get-togethers.  Today we were a little light on chips at the party so my mom was able to grab a couple canisters of the Lays Stax for people to munch on from her stash.  These will be used up as party food long before they expire at the end of the year!

All Valentine's goodies should be clearanced out to 75% off.  I couldn't pass up the cupcake box!  If it goes to 90% in a week or two I'll clear out whatever my store has left.

One of my cousins is sick, so I gave her the Sambucol.  Another cousin has shoulder pain, and my older nephew has arthritis (it's a genetic thing), so I gave them each some of the BodiHeat patches.  I love sharing all the free & cheap stuff we manage to get thanks to couponing!

Totals for the day:
Shelf price $302.37
Total $87.84
Rewards earned $93
$5.16 profit!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job. I live in KC, and we are one of the two test markets for Walgreens Rewards cards. So, for some deals, we get "points" instead of RR's. I'd rather get the RR's. The Baby Magic this week, and last weeks Refresh deals are examples.

Good job at promoting couponing at TF too. Seems like a difficult group to try to "see the light".