Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dual Drugstore Deals: $169 for $11, plus updated loot stack

I've finally got things in order 'round here.

We hit 2 Rite Aids and a Walgreens today before carrying on with our other errands.  In hindsight, this is one bizarre mix of items we semi-purchased.

Walgreens - shelf price $30.94
4 RePHresh tampons $5.99ea, $23.96
2 packages hair clips $.75ea, $1.50 (clearance, filler)
2 Skittles $.22ea, $.44 (clearance, filler)
Subtotal $25.90, less four $1 off RePHresh
Total $21.90, received back $20 ($5 for each RePHresh)
Out of pocket $1.90

Did the above in 4 transactions with one box of RePHresh and one of the clearance items per transaction.


Rite Aid - shelf price $137.93
12 Lays Stax $1, $12 (raincheck)
5 Rite Aid coffee $1.99ea, $9.95
3 Care Bears baby wipes $.90ea, $2.70
4 Oreo Double Stuf $3ea, $12
4 Right Guard 5 in 1 bodywash/shampoo $3.99ea, $15.96 (LIMIT TWO per card)
10 Johnson & Johnson baby wash & shampoo $2.99ea, $29.90
1 Snickers $.50
Subtotal $83.01, less five $2 off RA coffee, less four $1 off Right Guard, less ten $1 off J&J
Total $59.01, received back $50 in +UPs ($1 for each Lays, $1 for each Oreo, $1 bonus for each 2 Oreo, $3 for each Right Guard, $2 for each J&J)
Out of pocket $9.01

I also got rainchecks for more RA coffee ($1.99ea), Desitin diaper cream ($2.99ea with $2 +UP), and Johnson cotton swabs ($2.99ea with $2 +UP).  We went to two stores looking for Desitin & cotton swabs and they were cleared out.  There's been a sudden upswing in coupon shoppers in my area it seems and that's translating to a lot more rainchecks & empty shelves.  That's not a problem most of the time; I'll just hang on to my coupons and pick up the items as they come in stock.

In case you're wondering, all the baby stuff isn't for me.  That's for my little nephew.  Since the J&J and Desitin are free after coupon and +UP, I got as much as I could.  The baby wipes may or may not be a great deal; I'm not sure, but for $.90 per pack of 80 wipes I figured it didn't hurt to grab a few.

The Oreos are a decent "hidden" deal this week - they're 2 for $6, and you get a $1 +UP back per pair.  You also get a monthly $1 +UP per package, which makes these $1.50ea with no coupon needed.  No, they're not free, but I'm a sucker for Oreos.


After we got all our drugstore shopping taken care of, we made one final stop at K-Mart to look for a shelving unit.  As I mentioned in my last post, it got a bit out of control when I attempted to reorganize all our stuff.  We officially needed more storage space, so with a K-Mart gift card just sitting around, we went to look for shelves and found just what we needed.  They had a nice 6' tall, very sturdy shelving unit for just $39.  It now holds most of our nonperishable food.



Cereal - stacked all the way to the ceiling.  We have a whole lot of cereal.  There's also baking stuff, some snacks, tea & hot cocoa, and oatmeal.

Then there's pasta & rice, bread crumbs, and taco shells.  Below that is our way too small stash of coffee, peanut butter & jam, chili, broth & soup.  On the very bottom are condiments, some juice, some shelf-stable meals, pasta sauce, and tomatoes.

I still have some more shelf-stuffing to do; I've got various other items in cabinets and such that can go on this shelf and free up space elsewhere.  This is going to not only give us more space, but it will also make it a lot easier to see at a glance what we're running low on (ack! tomatoes!) and what we have plenty of (CEREAL).

Quite a productive day, it was.  Now maybe I can get caught up here with that post about rising grocery prices and a couple giveaways I have on deck!

No comments: