Sunday, January 30, 2011

Rite Aid Run - $247 for a $42 profit! Plus monthly spending.

Oh Rite Aid, how do I love thee.

Terribly sorry for the picture of our freezer interior, but I didn't want to dig out the ice cream for a photo op with the other goodies.
Not pictured: 5 more Lays Stax.

So, yeah.  Wow.  Poor Andy.  He had to push a cart around Rite Aid full of Stayfree and ice cream.  His only comment: "I wasn't aware I'd be pushing a cart of maxi pads around today...."

Why was poor Andy pushing a cart full of feminine products?  Well, because I was pushing my own cart full of feminine products, nasal spray, and snacks.  We must've made one hell of a confusing picture to the untrained eye.

All the below items were purchased over several transactions at two different stores.

Shelf price $246.57
12 Stayfree $4.39-6.99, BOGO free sale, $36.64 total
8 Afrin nasal spray $5.99ea, $47.92
8 Chex Mix $1.50ea, $12
5 Edy's ice cream $2.99ea, $14.95
4 Colgate Total 4oz $2.99ea, $11.96
4 Jif peanut butter $1.99ea, $7.96
2 Motrin PM 20ct $1ea, $2 (raincheck)
2 small funnels $.89ea ($.80ea with my discount), $1.60
2 medium funnels $1.19 ($1.07ea with my discount), $2.14
6 Lays Stax $6
Subtotal $143.17 - less six BOGO Sayfree $6 max value ($36 total), eight $3 off Afrin ($24), four $.50 off 2 Chex Mix ($2), four $1 Colgate ($4), two $1 Motrin ($2)
Total $75.14
Received back $4 for each Afrin, $1 for each Chex, $2 for each Edy's, $2 for each Colgate, $1 for each Jif, $2 for each pair of funnels, $1 for each Lays = $72
plus
$5 +UP for +UP Your Game promo (buy $15 of select items including Edy's & Lays in a single transaction, this week only, limit one),
plus
Two $10 +UP for Heart Healthy promo (buy $30 worth of select heart healthy items including Afrin & Colgate get $10, buy $50 get two $10 +UPs, does not have to be in a single transaction, 2 month promo, limit one)
plus
$20 +UP for the Winter Rewards promo (spend $100 on select items, receive $20 +UP, does not have to be in a single transaction, monthly promo, limit one)
Total +UPs received $117.

Shelf price $246.57
Total $75.14
Rewards earned $117
$41.86 profit!!!

I'd normally try for some eloquent discussion here regarding my haul for the day, but....
ICE CREAAAAAAMMMMM.  FREE ICE CREAAAAMMMMM!!

*ahem*

Yeah, I'm a bit excited about the ice cream.  If we had a larger freezer, there'd be more Edy's in my possession but it was tough making the 5 cartons fit as it is.  They're $2.99 each with a $2 +UP back, and if you spend $15 on items including Edy's you get an extra $5 +UP.  By buying 5 Edy's and 1 Lays, my total came to $15.95 and I received back $16 in +UPs.  Free.  Deliciously free.  The bonus $5 +UP is limit one per card; the individual $2 ice cream +UPs are unlimited at this point.
Afrin - $5.99ea, get $4 +UP back each, and I had $3 off coupons.  Each bottle was a profit of $1.01, and these count towards the month-long Heart Healthy promo.  By buying 8 of those at $47.92 and one Colgate Total at $2.99 with a $2 +UP and a $1 coupon, I "spent" $50 before coupons to qualify for the bonus $20 +UP.  That's a $28 profit on the Afrin & Colgate.
The Jif peanut butter is a decent price at $.99ea after sale & +UP.  It's not great, but for Andy's very favorite brand I'll take it.  Jif also counts toward the Winter Reward promo, so in the end it works out to free for us.
Stayfree - they're on sale for buy one get one free and I had a stack of BOGO coupons (max value $6).  I tried to get a mix of different prices to bring my total as close to $36 as possible - which is the maximum value of my combined six coupons - and it worked out well!  Only $.64 for all twelve packages.

This was a fabulous trip.  It really couldn't have gone any better, though I do wish I'd grabbed more of the Lays Stax.  Perhaps later in the week.  These, the Chex Mix, and the TGIF snacks from the other week are great for Andy to take to work with him to snack on, and you really can't beat the price!

For the month of January
Merchandise value $1,419.68
Total $488.60
Rewards & rebates earned $395.44
Out of pocket $92.16 for a savings of $1,326.52, or 93%!!

I would have posted this much earlier but I've been dealing with a dead computer all afternoon & evening.  As if it weren't bad enough that Andy had to push around a cart of Stayfree, shortly after we got home his computer died.   
I'll discuss this in a post later tonight or tomorrow - there's a very important frugal tip to be had for everyone reading this.  I haven't fixed the problem(s) with Andy's computer quite yet, but he's currently surfing the web while I get everything sorted out and it didn't cost a penny to get an otherwise dead machine up & running.  I'll explain how in the very near future.

No comments: